Especially during the pandemic, we have the education of Steelworkers families at heart!
Every year, the United Steelworkers union awards 22 scholarships of $1,500 each to qualified students across Canada, as follows:
- District 3: 5 scholarships (Western Provinces, Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut)
- District 5: 6 scholarships (Quebec)
- District 6: 2 scholarships (Atlantic Provinces)
- District 6: 6 scholarships (Ontario)
- National Locals: 3 scholarships (Local Unions 1944, 1976 and 2004)
These scholarships are intended to support Steelworkers members who spend many years saving so that they or their children can pursue post-secondary education.
Applications are closed until spring 2024.
Eligible applicants must:
- be a member of the United Steelworkers, or the child* of a member in good standing *(children include biological or birth children, children by adoption and children by other, equivalent relationship),
- be 25 years of age or younger, and
- be enrolled in post-secondary education in 2023.
Applicants may be entering any year of study and may be returning to their studies after a break. USW Post-Secondary Scholarships cannot be awarded to the same applicant more than twice.
1) Complete the application form:Application Form
2) Submit either a 3-minute video or a 250-word written statement, in either French or English, on one of the following topics. Videos should be posted on YouTube and the video URL included in the application form. Written statements should be in Word or PDF format and uploaded to the online application form, sent as an email attachment or printed and mailed. Topics are:
- How has your life been impacted by you and/or your family member being in a union?
- What issues or problems in society do you think unions should work on?
- How could unions help combat discrimination?
3) The application form and video or written statement must be received by end of day July 31, 2023.
Choosing winning applications
1) Scholarships will be awarded based on the quality of the ideas discussed in the video or written statement, as determined by an unbiased reviewer.
2) Winning applicants will be asked to provide proof of enrolment in an institution of higher education before an award cheque is issued.
2023 USW Post Secondary Scholarships Recipients
Maple Ridge (BC)
Parent: Ian Wilkinson
USW Local 1944
Parent: Ian Sykes
USW Local 1976
Coralie Gendron Salaberry-de-Valleyfield (QC) Parent: Martin Gendron USW Local 2004
USW Local 480
Port Coquitlam (BC)
Parent: Annette Hawley
USW Local 1-405
USW Local 1-207
Parent: Brian Kirkpatrick
USW Local 5220
Parent: Brian Clatney
USW Local 7689
Parent: Frédéric St-Louis
USW Local 8897
Parent: Stéphane Côté
USW Local 6887
Parent: Guylaine Castonguay
USW Local 7065
Parent: Mario Goudreau
USW Local 9700
Parent: Stéphane Beaudoin
USW Local 206G
Parent: Yves Rolland
USW Local 6951
Parent: David Humphries
USW Local 9342
Parent: Gregory Matheson
USW Local 1-306
Parent: Pascal Goulet
USW Local 9422
Parent: Quoc Le
USW Local 7135
Parent: Cuong Tien
USW Local 7536
USW Local 1998
Parent: Dean Pierre
USW Local 7536
Parent: Pierre Normand
USW Local 7940