The USW District 3 Veterans of Steel network is an opportunity for allied Veterans to connect across Western Canada.
The goal is to create a place where those who have served, or are serving, in allied forces can find camaraderie, support, links to resources, and build momentum to fight to improve Veterans’ workplace issues.
Some issues already identified include:
- Loss of identity and network.
- For Veterans, leaving the military means leaving the biggest team they have been associated with, which can leave them feeling ostracized and alone.
- Struggles relating to and working with co-workers.
- Military training leaves Veterans’ mission oriented with a strong focus on will.
- This can come off as aggressive or pushy and make building new work relationships difficult.
- Disciplinary issues.
- Employers do not always consider Veteran’s previous mental or physical injury to contextualize workplace behaviour.
- Masking physical or mental health issues.
- Military training makes individuals very good at hiding pain.
Bringing Veterans together to talk about these kinds of issues and work on solutions is why we are developing this network. Additionally, we hope that members who sign up for this network help support the union’s efforts to fulfil the constitutional resolution to make Veterans of Steel a required committee of each local. The network will meet once every two months via zoom with the possibility of in-person meetings in the future.
Ready to join?
Fill in the form below to join the District 3 Veterans of Steel network. If you provide your address, we will mail you some Veterans of Steel Canada stickers.
By providing your email and cell phone number in the form above, you consent to receive updates from the Veterans of Steel Network and the United Steelworkers. Standard text and data rates may apply. You can opt-out by texting STOP or clicking the unsubscribe link in the email.
We look forward to your participation and bringing together Veterans from across Western Canada.