Latest News

Quebec Steelworkers Join Marathon Labour Demonstration Against Bill 59

June 1, 2021

QUEBEC CITY – Quebec Steelworkers have joined a 59-hour vigil at the National Assembly in Quebec City to oppose Bill 59, legislation that will cut longstanding workplace health and safety protections.

Workers from across Quebec have converged on the provincial capital for the marathon demonstration against Bill 59, which began yesterday. The Steelworkers delegation includes some 150 members from ArcelorMittal operations in the North Shore region, where 2,500 workers are currently on strike.

“Bill 59 will lead to major setbacks in health and safety prevention in our workplaces and cuts in compensation for injured workers,” said Dominic Lemieux, Quebec Director of the Syndicat des Métallos/United Steelworkers.

“If this legislation is adopted, protections currently provided in the law will no longer be available and unions will have to negotiate new provisions in collective agreements to compensate for the weakening of our laws,” Lemieux noted.

“This is disastrous for non-unionized workers, who have no such recourse, and is a threat to labour relations as it will increase the risk of labour disputes over issues that were previously settled in law,” he added.

The USW members on strike at ArcelorMittal fear that Bill 59 will weaken health and safety in their workplace, which already leaves much to be desired.

“We have to wear personal respiratory protection equipment to work at the concentrator because the employer has not completed work needed to reduce risks. Imagine if the law becomes less demanding of companies; it will have an even-greater, regressive domino effect,” said Karine Sénéchal, President of Steelworkers Local 5778, representing ArcelorMittal workers at the Mount Wright mine in Fermont.

The 2,500 workers of ArcelorMittal operations in Fermont and Port-Cartier have been on strike since May 10.

“Steelworkers are showing that distance is not a barrier to solidarity. Community and labour solidarity is built through the people who live and work in our communities,” Lemieux said.

The Syndicat des Métallos/United Steelworkers, affiliated with the Quebec Federation of Labour, is the largest private-sector union in Quebec, representing more than 60,000 workers in all economic sectors.

Clairandrée Cauchy, 514-774-4001, ccauchy@metallos.ca

Join our newsletter

Recent news

All in on solidarity

United Steelworkers International Convention to include 3,000 union members, allies

April 4, 2025 | Media Releases

TORONTO – Nearly 3,000 members and allies of the United Steelworkers union (USW) from across Canada, the United States and the Caribbean, will meet next week in Las Vegas to chart the future of the largest industrial union in North America during the union’s International Constitutional Convention in Las Vegas. More than 2,300 elected delegates, 600 […]

Read More
Click to read the article about United Steelworkers International Convention to include 3,000 union members, allies
2025 graduates

Young Steelworkers from Canada and U.S. build ties with allies from around the world

April 3, 2025 | News Articles

Young Steelworkers activists from Canada and the U.S. recently participated in the Global Union Youth Exchange in Mexico City, where they built leadership skills and shared experiences with counterparts from Mexico, Chile, Colombia and Turkey. The youth exchange program attracted young members from all USW Canadian Districts and Districts 4 and 12 in the U.S., […]

Read More
Click to read the article about Young Steelworkers from Canada and U.S. build ties with allies from around the world
Image for B.C. Forests Minister announces new Forestry Support Bureau, promising action to protect jobs and strengthen the sector

B.C. Forests Minister announces new Forestry Support Bureau, promising action to protect jobs and strengthen the sector

April 3, 2025 | Media Releases

Statement from Scott Lunny, United Steelworkers (USW) Western Canada Director, on new Forestry Support Bureau announced by B.C. Minister of Forests Ravi Parmar: At the recent meeting of United Steelworkers union (USW) Local 1-2017 in Prince George, B.C.’s Minister of Forests, Ravi Parmar, spoke about acting on a proposal that has been pushed for over […]

Read More
Click to read the article about B.C. Forests Minister announces new Forestry Support Bureau, promising action to protect jobs and strengthen the sector