Emergency Response Team: 1-866-526-3480
Have the victim’s name and the USW local number available, as well as the employer’s name.
During emergencies call 911.
When workplace tragedy occurs, the USW is here to help
The union’s Emergency Response Team (ERT) relies on notification from our local unions as quickly as possible following a fatality or catastrophic incident. In the event of a workplace fatality or life-altering injury to any Steelworker, the local should notify its staff representative and the ERT as soon as possible.
Health and safety questions
DO NOT use the hotline for routine requests.
USW Canadian National Office
USW District 3
USW District 5
USW District 6
United Steelworkers Emergency Response Team members are dispatched as soon as possible following a workplace fatality or catastrophic incident.
The ERT offers caring and compassionate support to USW members, families and co-workers dealing with a workplace tragedy:
- Advocacy for members and their families
- A liaison between families, the local union and the employer
- Referrals to service providers
- Support for the local union
- Follow-up visits to offer further assistance to family members and workers