Family Care Reimbursement Form

March 3, 2023
  • Forms

Get reimbursed for family care costs like babysitting incurred while you are attending authorized union events.

Members can claim caregiving fees for the following dependents who reside with them:

a) A child aged 12 or under for daytime and/or overnight care;

b) A child aged 15 or under for overnight care, where the authorized union event requires your absence overnight;

c) A child or adult with a disability for daytime and/or overnight care;

d) An adult who is dependent and requires care during the daytime and/or overnight.

Family care costs that would normally occur had you been at your workplace, or care provided by your spouse, partner or your child’s other parent will not be reimbursed.

Actual family care costs incurred (for the duration of the union event/meeting, plus travel time) will be reimbursed as follows:

  • If care is provided by a professional/licensed caregiver who is not a family member, or an unlicensed caregiver who is not related to the person receiving care (e.g. babysitter), we will reimburse at their standard rate up to $19.50 an hour for a maximum of 12 hours per day provided receipts are submitted confirming the expense. If overnight care is required, the maximum reimbursable amount is $270 per 24-hour period (total).
  • If care is provided by a family member who resides at a different address from your dependant(s), we will provide a pro-rated honorarium, provided a signed invoice (see sample) is supplied. Note: the honorarium provided is not per child, it is a lump sum total for all people receiving care within a household:
    • 3 hours or less of care per day: $30 (total)
    • More than 3 hours-6 hours of care per day: $50 (total)
    • More than 6 hours-24 hours of care per day: $75 (total)

If the family member providing care lives out of town, mileage to and from the union member’s home may be covered. For more information, contact the Fund Co-ordinator.

If you have attended multiple union activities resulting in family care costs, please complete one Expense Claim Form per activity.

Note: if your collective agreement requires shift work that is other than 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday, you must provide documentation in order to claim reimbursement for weekday, daytime family care reimbursement claims.

Frequently asked questions

What is an “authorized” union event?

An authorized union event is an initiative put on by your local union or the United Steelworkers more broadly. Such events are signed-off on by your local union president or recording secretary.

Examples include: your local’s monthly membership meeting, a USW local, district, national or international conference you have been approved to attend, serving on your local’s bargaining committee or attending other committee meetings such as the Women of Steel Committee, etc.

Will you cover family care costs incurred for an authorized union event that takes place during my normal hours of work?

No, the Family & Community Education Fund will not cover family care costs that occur during your normal working hours, even if you are at an authorized union event and not at work. This is because you would have paid for family care regardless, so this is not an additional expense you have incurred.

Will I be directly reimbursed for my family care costs or does the Family & Community Education Fund send the money to my local union to pass on to me?

Members who submit eligible expenses to the Fund Coordinator will be directly reimbursed for their family care costs.

Can I be reimbursed if a family member provides care?

The Fund will only cover costs for care provided by an individual who does not already have caregiving responsibilities for the family member(s) receiving care. Generally speaking, the Fund will not cover costs for care provided by a spouse/partner, former spouse/partner with custody rights or a relative residing in the household. Contact the Fund Coordinator for more information.

I normally pay my caregiver less/more per hour than the FCEF-identified reimbursement rate. What should I do?

Pay your caregiver their typical rate, but note that the Fund will not reimburse more than $19.50/hour for family care where it is supplied by a professional/licensed caregiver who is not related to the claimant. Should your family member have special needs and require care costing more than $19.50/hour, please get in touch with the Fund Co-ordinator to discuss this.

Caregivers who are related to you or to the person receiving the care and who live at a different address from you are eligible for a pro-rated honorarium of up to $75/day.

My local union already covers family care expenses as part of our expense policy. Should I still apply to the FCEF’s reimbursement program?

No, apply to your local union first.

How do I know if my local union contributes to the fund and if I’m eligible to get this expense coverage?

Ask your local union executives or reach out to the Fund Co-ordinator to learn if your local union contributes. Joining the fund is easy! Click here to learn more.

Family Care Claim Form Family Care Service Invoice Form

Request this file in a different format