Latest News

Two-Year-Old Tragedy Finally Answered with Criminal Charges – Steelworkers Union

August 10, 2020

TORONTO – The United Steelworkers union (USW) says charges laid against a New Brunswick employer under the Westray Law should have been applied long before now, but are still a warning to other employers who believe they cannot be held criminally accountable for workplace death and injury.

“This charge of criminal negligence causing death marks a milestone for the Maritimes, where 26 deaths in Nova Scotia led eventually to the Criminal Code amendments known as the ‘Westray Law,’ ” said USW National Director Ken Neumann.

“Our union has been fighting across Canada to have this law – which we lobbied hard to have passed 16 years ago – enforced as it should be,” Neumann said.

“The Westray Law is about accountability, but its application should lead to prevention,” added Marty Warren, USW Director for Ontario and Atlantic Canada. “As long as employers believe they can get away with fines under lesser statutes, such as occupational health and safety laws, then killing workers will remain a cost of doing business. That is morally and ethically a disgrace, and a failure of law enforcement.”

Media coverage of the charges against Springhill Construction Ltd. and former supervisor, Jason King, reveals few details in the death of 18-year-old Michael Anthony Henderson at Fredericton’s wastewater treatment facility on Aug. 16, 2018.

No inquest has been held and all that is known is that a construction crew was installing a secondary clarifier (a settling tank where liquid waste is held). The company had earlier been charged under the Occupational Health and Safety Act with failure to ensure worker safety at the site.

“We give credit to the Fredericton Police Force for its criminal investigation,” said Neumann. 

“We hope the evidence ensures prosecution and conviction and will set an example across Canada,” added Warren.

For more detailed information on the USW campaign to Stop The Killing, Enforce the Law, visit www.stopthekilling.ca.

Ken Neumann, USW National Director, 416-544-5951
Marty Warren, USW Ontario/Atlantic Director, 416-243-8792
Bob Gallagher, USW Communications, 416-544-5966, 416-434-2221, bgallagher@usw.ca

Join our newsletter

Recent news

All in on solidarity

United Steelworkers International Convention to include 3,000 union members, allies

April 4, 2025 | Media Releases

TORONTO – Nearly 3,000 members and allies of the United Steelworkers union (USW) from across Canada, the United States and the Caribbean, will meet next week in Las Vegas to chart the future of the largest industrial union in North America during the union’s International Constitutional Convention in Las Vegas. More than 2,300 elected delegates, 600 […]

Read More
Click to read the article about United Steelworkers International Convention to include 3,000 union members, allies
2025 graduates

Young Steelworkers from Canada and U.S. build ties with allies from around the world

April 3, 2025 | News Articles

Young Steelworkers activists from Canada and the U.S. recently participated in the Global Union Youth Exchange in Mexico City, where they built leadership skills and shared experiences with counterparts from Mexico, Chile, Colombia and Turkey. The youth exchange program attracted young members from all USW Canadian Districts and Districts 4 and 12 in the U.S., […]

Read More
Click to read the article about Young Steelworkers from Canada and U.S. build ties with allies from around the world
Image for B.C. Forests Minister announces new Forestry Support Bureau, promising action to protect jobs and strengthen the sector

B.C. Forests Minister announces new Forestry Support Bureau, promising action to protect jobs and strengthen the sector

April 3, 2025 | Media Releases

Statement from Scott Lunny, United Steelworkers (USW) Western Canada Director, on new Forestry Support Bureau announced by B.C. Minister of Forests Ravi Parmar: At the recent meeting of United Steelworkers union (USW) Local 1-2017 in Prince George, B.C.’s Minister of Forests, Ravi Parmar, spoke about acting on a proposal that has been pushed for over […]

Read More
Click to read the article about B.C. Forests Minister announces new Forestry Support Bureau, promising action to protect jobs and strengthen the sector