The United Steelworkers Communications and Political Action Department is seeking a permanent full-time bilingual legislative assistant in Ottawa, effective immediately. The successful candidate will support the staff of the Ottawa Legislative Office, as well as union staff located other offices as needed. This is an in-office position based in Ottawa.
The successful applicant must be fluently bilingual (speaking, reading, writing) in French and English and must be able to confidently proofread press releases and other documents in either language, have excellent Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook). Intermediate to advanced skills in Excel preferred. Knowledge of unions, the labour movement, the legislative process and political experience a very strong asset.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- setting up meetings as necessary with Members of Parliament
- greeting visitors and directing them as appropriate
- answering the phone, directing calls as requested and/or appropriate, assisting callers with information
- paying bills directly and/or in conjunction with the National Office
- maintaining office supplies
- dealing with suppliers
- writing and editing correspondence, proofreading press releases, articles, reports and other documents
- website updating
- preparing and updating directories and databases of parliamentarians, staff and other contacts
- accessing databases and exporting information for our records
- maintaining and updating documents
- helping rank-and-file lobbyists with materials, contacts and meeting set-ups, as well as post-lobbying reimbursement process
- Assisting with conference arrangements and registration (occasional travel opportunities)
- Assisting staff in making travel arrangements and in filing travel-related expenses
- Scanning documents and maintaining electronic and physical filing and storage system(s)
- Printing & photocopying
- Lifting and moving bankers’ boxes of files for storage
- updating Ontario and federal lobbyist registration monthly
- providing assistance and taking direction as required from the Legislative Representative, the Communications and Political Action Department Leader or union staff, as needed
- providing general office support or support for other Departments as requested by the Administrative Assistant or the Office Coordinator
- liaising with building management and maintenance at 280 Albert Street
USW is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from members of equality seeking groups, including women, people of colour, Aboriginal people, people with disabilities, as well as members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community.
This position is a bargaining unit position covered by the collective agreement between USW and COPE 343, with a starting rate of $55,580.20 plus a 3% bilingual premium, and a generous benefits and pension package, and the opportunity to increase salary by up to 12% by completing various training under the union’s pay for knowledge program.
Candidates should submit their cover letter and CV by November 10, 2023 to:
Share on Facebook
Alexandra Eshelman, Administrative Assistant, United Steelworkers, by mail at 800-234 Eglinton Avenue East, Toronto, Ontario M4P 1K7, or by e-mail to email@example.com
All applications will be kept confidential. Only applicants to be interviewed will be contacted.