Latest News

Fines Are Not Enough! Grieving Families Deserve Criminal Investigation of Workplace Deaths

January 20, 2016

TORONTO – A $300,000 fine imposed on a Northern Ontario mining company following a workplace fatality shows more must be done to ensure criminal investigations are considered first and foremost when a worker is killed on the job, the United Steelworkers (USW) says.

Lac Des Iles Mines Ltd. has been fined $300,000 for violations of health and safety laws in the death of miner Pascal Goulet on July 10, 2014, at the company’s mine north of Thunder Bay.

Goulet, 38, was killed instantly when he was struck by a run of muck, or rock. Less than five months earlier, one of Goulet’s co-workers was seriously injured in another incident at the mine, which also resulted in a fine against the company for health and safety violations. Goulet, a USW member, is survived by his wife Melanie and their two young daughters.

“For the grieving families, fines are not enough. Justice has not been served if a worker’s death is not investigated at the outset as a potential criminal case,” said USW Ontario Director Marty Warren.

“The Westray Act that was finally passed into law in 2004 after a decade of lobbying is supposed to hold employers criminally accountable for workplace death and injury. But there have been more than 10,000 workplace deaths since the law was passed, and only one manager has received a prison sentence,” Warren noted.

“Clearly, there is more work to do to ensure the Westray Act is enforced when a worker is killed on the job. Police and Crown attorneys must be trained and empowered to investigate and prosecute workplace death and injury as they would any other potential crime scene.”

Last week an Ontario judge imposed a 3½-year prison sentence on a Metron Construction manager found guilty of criminal negligence in the 2009 deaths of four workers. The sentence, currently under appeal, is the first such penalty since the Westray Act was passed 12 years ago.

online pharmacy zoloft for sale no prescription pharmacy

The USW is continuing to build public and political support for its national campaign, Stop the Killing, Enforce the Law. The campaign urges federal, provincial and territorial governments to provide better training and direction for police, health and safety officers and Crown prosecutors for the investigation of workplace deaths.

The USW campaign has received endorsements from municipalities and organizations across Canada. Federal, provincial and territorial justice ministers issued a joint communiqué last year, promising to further examine the issue.

Warren also called for an overhaul of Workplace Safety and Insurance regulations to provide greater compensation for surviving spouses and children of workers killed on the job.

“The public needs to be aware that fines imposed by courts don’t go to the surviving families and that the workers’ safety and insurance system does not adequately compensate families for their losses of income and benefits,” he said.

“In addition to the lifelong devastation of losing a loved one, surviving spouses and children often suffer serious, long-term financial hardship due to the failings of the existing system.”

www.StopTheKilling.ca

Marty Warren, USW Ontario Director, 416-243-8792, mwarren@usw.ca
Sylvia Boyce, USW Health and Safety Coordinator, ‪905-741-9830, sboyce@usw.ca
Bob Gallagher, USW Communications, 416-544-5966, 416-434-2221, bgallagher@usw.ca

Join our newsletter

Recent news

Featured image for United Steelworkers union stands with Saskatoon Dragonfly and Intelcom delivery drivers 

United Steelworkers union stands with Saskatoon Dragonfly and Intelcom delivery drivers 

May 14, 2026 | Media Releases

The United Steelworkers union (USW) stands in full solidarity with the approximately 150 precarious delivery drivers working for Dragonfly and Intelcom who are now in their seventh day of protest in Saskatoon after drastic cuts to per-package pay rates that have pushed workers to a breaking point and are now being terminated for their actions. […]

USW District 3 Logo

Steelworkers Vote Alberta: Fight Back Now member mobilization

May 13, 2026 | District 3 memo

Dear Locals, The Alberta Federation of Labour (AFL) has announced a Province-Wide Day of Protest on May 29, calling on workers and community members to stand up against Premier Danielle Smith’s government and its focus on separatism and constitutional battles while Albertans struggle with affordability, health care and education concerns. USW believes Alberta workers need […]

Image for Report finds Siemens illegally using replacement workers

Report finds Siemens illegally using replacement workers

May 13, 2026 | Media Releases

TROIS-RIVIÈRES, Que., May 13, 2026 – After locking out 105 workers at its facility in Trois-Rivières on April 15, Siemens Energy is adding insult to injury by illegally using replacement workers, or “scabs” in common language, to do their jobs. The company’s use of replacement workers has been revealed in a report by investigators from […]