Frequently Asked Questions

We are here to help our members and your families. If you have a question, chances are you will be able to find the answer on our site. If not, please contact us. Below are a list of frequently asked questions and where you might be able to find what you’re looking for.

How do I find my staff representative or contact someone from the union to help me? 

You should start by contacting your local union office for help. If you don’t know your local information, or still need information, please contact your district office. You can find your district office here

What is a local union and how do I find mine?

A local union, often called local, is the branch of our union located close to where you live and/or work. Locals are typically designated by numbers, for example, USW Local 1234. They are made up of members like you and leadership you elect from your within your ranks. You belong to your local, which is within your district. The USW is made up of 13 districts in the United States and Canada. We have a Canadian National Office in Toronto and the International headquarters in Pittsburgh. We all work together to do the best we can for our members and your families. If you do not know your local union, call your district office and they can help you find it.

Do I, or does a loved one have a pension? How do I find my or a loved one’s pension?

If you or a loved one is a member of the United Steelworkers and you are looking to find out more about your pension and benefits please fill out our questionnaire with as much detail as possible and we will get back to you with the information you need. 

I need help with homework or research about the Steelworkers’ history. Who can I talk to? 

The United Steelworkers has a proud history of standing up and fighting for a better world. First you should be sure to visit the history section of our website and look at our history of achievements and the biographies of our leaders. Secondly, please check out some of the books, websites and articles that we list in the bibliography. 

I want to organize so I can have a union at work. What do I do? How do I become a USW member? Can I join the USW? 

There are a few ways you can become a USW member. First, you can form a union at your workplace, a process called organizing. If you would like more information, please read our Join Us section and fill out the online form. Our organizing department will get back to you right away. 

I retired and want to remain part of the USW. What do I need to do? 

We are proud to fight for our retirees and to have our retirees remain active in our union. Please join the Steelworker Organization of Active Retirees, SOAR, online here or call 1-416-487-1571 Ext. 6003 for more information about SOAR. 

I got disciplined or fired, had an accident, problem at work, need to file a grievance or complaint, or have another urgent issue I need help with. What do I do? 

The best place to start is your local union, but if you cannot contact your local or do not know your local, please call the district office closest to your workplace. You can find your district office here. 

How do I file a human rights or sexual harassment complaint?

 Visit our Human Rights and Equity Department page for more information about the complaint process.